[hobbit] rrd error messages

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Mon Jun 25 22:56:34 CEST 2007

On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 12:03:49PM -0400, Steve Holmes wrote:
> I'm still getting these errors. Does no one have an answer? I have searched
> the archives and found nothing. They are occurring for multiple hosts and
> multiple services.
>
> >2007-05-21 09:42:52 RRD error updating
> >/var/hobbit/data/rrd/client.purdue.edu/disk,export,video.rrd from
> >128.210.xxx.xxx: unknown consolidation function '^?<F8>'

This looks like a corrupted RRD file.

> >2007-05-21 09:42:52 RRD error updating
> >/var/hobbit/data/rrd/client.purdue.edu/memory.real.rrd from
> >128.210.xxx.xxx: illegal
> >attempt to update using time 1179754972 when last update time is
> >2146959360 (minimum one second step)

There are several potential reasons for this, but right now you should
just take my word that it's harmless.

> >I am also having some trouble with a lot of NAN values in the disk history
> >graphs. I'm wondering a) how to fix these errors, and b) if the errors
> >have anything to do with not getting good data in the graphs.

What's the load on your server ? I've seen this happen on my own system,
where it turned out that the amount of RRD file-updates was pushing the
disks beyond capacity. vmstat/iostat data usually picks this up. But
then, this would affect all types of graphs.