[hobbit] Why BBSVCNAME,BBHOSTSVC invalid in my alert script?

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed Jun 20 15:43:43 CEST 2007

On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 08:03:06PM +0800, casedj wrote:
> Hobbit 4.2.0 on RHEL4, BB client 1.08d on Windows XP cici.
>
> hobbit-alerts.cfg:
>  HOST=cici       SERVICE=procs,svcs
>           SCRIPT /home/hobbit/server/etc/alert-svcs.sh  cici
>
> Some environment variables,e.g,BBSVCNAME,BBHOSTSVC are used in alert script,
> but they actually weren't shown as specific service or process that triggered
> the alert while the service or process reached down, just generic string procs.
>
> alert-svcs.sh
> #!/bin/sh
> echo "$BBHOSTSVC   reached error  state" |write hobbit
> echo "$BBSVCNAME   reached error  state" |write hobbit
>

> The result displayed as below:
>
> Message from hobbit at my_linux on <no tty> at 22:21 ...
> cici.procs   reached error  state
> EOF

Actually, that's exactly as it should be. BBHOSTSVC contains the
hostname "cici" AND the servicename "procs", joined together with a
dot. So an alert from hosts cici for the procs column has
BBHOSTSVC=cici.procs

BBSVCNAME is the service name, "procs" in this case:

> Message from hobbit at my_linux on <no tty> at 22:21 ...
> procs   reached error  state
> EOF

which is what you also get.

If you want just the hostname, use BBHOSTNAME. See the hobbit-alerts.cfg
man page for a listing of what the various variables contain.