How to run an arbitary script on the client end?

Haertig, David F (Dave) haertig at avaya.com
Fri Jun 8 22:06:41 CEST 2007

Is there a way to confgure a client, via client-local.cfg or otherwise,
to run some arbitrary command on the client and send it's stdout/stderr
back to the hobbit server?  I have a few simple shell scripts that exist
on some clients that it would be nice to invoke and then read their
results on the server end using the "$BBHOME/bin/bb localhost
clientlog..." method.  Similar to the way a "file:path_to_file"
directive will collect a file's metadata?  I want something like
"runprogram:path_to_program"

I am doing this currently using a server-side script that ssh'es to the
client machine and runs what it needs.  I would rather have the normal
Hobbit client collect the data output by the client-side program, upload
that, and my server-side script would parse that resulting clientlog
rather than going and collecting it's own data.  If this is possible.

Thanks!