Alternate to msgcache/hobbitfetch?

Haertig, David F (Dave) haertig at avaya.com
Sun Jun 3 04:50:17 CEST 2007

I've got some servers out in the DMZ that can't talk directly to the
corporate network.  I can get out to them via socks/ssh.  I do not want
to run another listening service (msgcache) out there in the DMZ.  Is
there a way to configure the client to collect messages to a file
(without msgcache listening), and then go retrieve/process those file(s)
via ssh from the Hobbit server and process normally?

What I'm doing now is not installing the client in the DMZ, and instead
using a custom Hobbit server script that socks/ssh'es out to the DMZ and
runs it's own data collection commands.  The data collected is similar
to what the client would normally do, but it's all done via custom
script without any help from the Hobbit client.

I guess what I'm looking for is a hobbitfetch variant that uses ssh/scp
rather than connecting to a msgcache listener.  And along with that, a
way to configure the client to collect data normally, but skip starting
a listening service.