[hobbit] Highlights of the 4.3.0 version

Scott Walters scott at PacketPushers.com
Wed Jul 25 18:55:38 CEST 2007

On 7/25/07, John Glowacki <johng at idttechnology.com> wrote:
> Peter Welter wrote:
> > One of the things I'd like to see in 4.3.0 is what is already partly
> > available on Sun-boxes in 4.2.0, the [iostatdisk] part. The stats are
> > gathered but not plotted. I hope this monitor will make it, on all
> > platforms, because you can pinpoint any disk performance problems much
> > easier.
> >
> > Thanks, Peter
> >

> That would be good to have. I have been asked if hobbit does this from
> other groups in the company.

Tracking disk IO gets complicated pretty quickly for a few reasons:

* OS's don't have common commands for measuring disk performance
* Do you watch IO by filesystem or spindle?  If you have RAID,
grabbing the data can become even more difficult.
* People can disagree on what good disk IO means, and even fewer
understand disk IO workloads.
*  I have no idea if Windows and the WMI has this kind of info.

For *ix, the "blocked processes" of vmstat is an excellent way to see
if the server overall is IO bound.  I would definitely like to see
that a "stock" displayed metric in 4.3.0.  Most *ix vmstat provides
that number.  Similar to the iostat for Solaris, the info is
collected, just not displayed.

Scott Walters
-PacketPusher