'msgs' test log content not being sent to Hobbit server

Mostardi, David (MDL US) D.Mostardi at mdl.com
Tue Jul 24 23:36:37 CEST 2007

I have been unable to get the msgs test to work. I have configured
client-local.cfg

    [sunos]
    log:/var/adm/messages:10240

and hobbit-clients.cfg

    HOST=cicero
    LOG %/var/adm/messages %fatal COLOR=red

The Hobbit server sends Cicero the client-local.cfg directives, because
Cicero's ~hobbit/client/tmp/logfetch.cicero.cfg shows

    log:/var/adm/messages:10240

but if I look in ~hobbit/client/tmp/msgs.cicero.txt it says:

    [msgs:/var/adm/messages]

    [logfile:/var/adm/messages]
    type:100000 (file)
    mode:644 (-rw-r--r--)

The messages file has been stocked exclusively with messages containing the
word 'fatal'. The stanza 'logfile:/var/adm/messages' knows the file is large
and visible, but the stanza 'msgs:/var/adm/messages' says the file is null,
and that's evidently what gets reported back to the Hobbit server. So my
msgs test never goes from green to red.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
David