[hobbit] Highlights of the 4.3.0 version

Ralph Mitchell ralphmitchell at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 22:34:20 CEST 2007

On 7/24/07, Henrik Stoerner <henrik at hswn.dk> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 09:18:49AM -0500, Ralph Mitchell wrote:
> > On 7/23/07, Scott Walters <scott at packetpushers.com> wrote:
> > >
> > >* Services with the most state changes, sorted by highest to lowest
> > >(Maybe just Top 10).  Clicking on service would generate list of the
> > >state changes for that period.  "PHB, the web group is performing way
> > >too many undocumented code changes."
> >
> > Heh, that would be useful.  I've got a perl script using SOAP to get
> > BigIP pool status and some joker has transferred some machines between
> > BigIPs without removing the old definitions.  So, there's a bunch of
> > systems/ports that flip/flop between enable & disable.  Whether
> > they're red or green depends on which report comes in last.
>
> That should actually be caught by another 4.3.0 feature: Flap detection.
> If a status changes more than 10 times in 10 minutes, Hobbit deems it
> "flapping" and stops logging status changes - instead, it fixes the
> status at the most critical level reported.

Unfortunately that's not going to affect my particular checks.  Right
now I have a Hobbit client kicking off the test on a 5 minute
interval, so it goes off at time T, T+5min, T+10min, etc.  The
duplicated servers are only on 2 BigIPs, so they flip/flop over and
back at time T, T+5, T+10.  At most there will be 6 changes in a 10
minute period.

Could that 10-times-in-10-minutes be made into a variable??  Maybe a
default value in the hobbitserver.cfg with an override in bb-hosts,
though I hate to add yet another inch to the width of that file...

Actually, even flap detection isn't going to help my situation - the
reports are going to be red for the BigIP where the server/port is
disabled and green/red for the BigIP that *really* owns the server, so
flap detection would show red anyway.  All the time.  I really need to
get the duplicates removed.

Ralph Mitchell