[hobbit] Highlights of the 4.3.0 version

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Sun Jul 22 15:03:08 CEST 2007

On Sat, Jul 21, 2007 at 09:34:11PM -0400, Scott Walters wrote:
> Great to see the summary, these features look great.  I'd like to
> request more RRDs and reports about the monitoring system and the
> servers/services monitored.  For example:
>
> I think the following could be "gauge" metrics:
>
> Number of devices monitored
> Number of services monitored
> Number of host.service in green state
> Number of host.service in yellow state
> Number of host.service in red state
> Number of host.service in XXX state

You mean like this:

    Statistics:
    Hosts                      :  4321
    Pages                      :   286
    Status messages            : 22331
    - Red                      :   907 ( 4.06 %)
    - Red (non-propagating)    :   809 ( 3.62 %)
    - Yellow                   :   353 ( 1.58 %)
    - Yellow (non-propagating) :   210 ( 0.94 %)
    - Clear                    :  1970 ( 8.82 %)
    - Green                    : 17052 (76.36 %)
    - Purple                   :   452 ( 2.02 %)
    - Blue                     :   578 ( 2.59 %)

The first three are from the current "bbgen --report" status message;
I've added the breakdown of the colors now. Will put these into an RRD
for tracking trends.

> I am thinking these could be done by creating counters within hobbit
> (since boot):
>
> Number of state changes
> Number of state changes per server
> Number of state changes per service
> Number of notifications sent

The state changes can be calculated from the history logs. This is
preferable, I think, because that way it won't get reset if the Hobbit
server is restarted.

Notifications - it would make sense to have the alert module provide
some statistics that we could put into a trend graph.

> If you like, I could draft up some graphs and reports I'd like to see.
> My above description might be hard to visualize.  I definitely think
> hobbit could benefit from internal counters, similarly to how on OS
> keeps tracks of context switches and the like.

Please do. The graphs I've created about the Hobbit "internals" have
been mostly for my own use as debugging / performance evaluation data.
If we can provide some data that is interesting to management, that
would be a good thing.