[hobbit] getcwd: cannot access parent directories: No such file or directory

Hobbit User hobbit at epperson.homelinux.net
Tue Jul 3 23:30:04 CEST 2007

It looks like the current working directory for the shell session no
longer exists.

[root at home dir2]#  mkdir /tmp/dir1;mkdir /tmp/dir1/dir2;cd
/tmp/dir1/dir2;rmdir /tmp/dir1/dir2;rmdir /tmp/dir1;man 3 getcwd
shell-init: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access
parent directories: No such file or directory
shell-init: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access
parent directories: No such file or directory

There may be other scenarios, but every time I've had a panicky sysadmin
ask me about this, the current working directory has been removed.  Often
happens with a "rpm -e" while you're in one of the directories created by
the rpm.