[hobbit] Two Hobbit Servers

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Jan 4 22:31:04 CET 2007

On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 12:45:57PM -0600, James Wade wrote:

> I want to run Two Hobbit Servers for redundancy purposes.
> Can someone give me some pointers. What's the best
> way to set this up, and which files do I change?

There isn't a 100% automatic setup that handles fail-over of the various
tasks, especially paging.

The best solution right now is to run the two servers in parallel;
i.e. setup a synchronization of the bb-hosts, hobbit-alerts.cfg and
hobbit-clients.cfg files and run the same tasks on both of the servers.
On the backup server, you would disable the [bbpage] task in
hobbitlaunch.cfg so you dont get duplicated alerts; in case the primary
server fails, you must then enable this task to get alerts going.

This obviously isn't very smart. Some improvements are underway for
Hobbit 4.3 so fail-over of paging is handled better; it's not yet ready
for production use, though.