[hobbit] Browser asks where to save bb-hostsvc.sh

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Fri Feb 9 12:30:01 CET 2007

On Fri, Feb 09, 2007 at 11:39:53AM +0100, Michael.Wiegard at materna.de wrote:
> Using the format
> In bb-hosts:
>
> 0.0.0.0	HOSTNAME (without domain)	# ssh
>
> the browser asks where to save bb-hostsvc.sh

This is reported from time to time - usually with the "client data"
links.

First check that your webserver has the hobbit-cgi directory configured
as a "CGI" directory, i.e. it will run the bb-hostsvc.sh program rather
than just downloading the shell script. If the bb-hostsvc.sh CGI works
for some links but not for others, then that is not your problem.

In that case, it probably is a problem with the browser. If you do save
the data to a file, I think you'll see that it is a perfectly valid HTML
document that's been sent. Since the data sent from your webserver to
your browser is HTML, and the webserver also sends a valid
"content-type" header, your browser should present it as an HTML page,
instead of asking you to save it.

Internet Explorer seems prone to this in some setups, whereas I haven't
heard of it being an issue with Firefox. I suspect it is some security
setting inside IE that triggers it - or perhaps it's just a bug.

As an example, this link
  http://www.hswn.dk/hobbit-cgi/bb-hostsvc.sh?HOST=localhost&SERVICE=info
is the "info" column page for a host with no domain name and a 0.0.0.0
address in bb-hosts. Does that work in your browser?