[hobbit] creating a report of all the notifications sent by hobbit

Tom Georgoulias tomg at mcclatchyinteractive.com
Wed Feb 7 16:03:31 CET 2007

Henrik Stoerner wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 04:17:59PM -0600, Hubbard, Greg L wrote:
>> I knew it would be easy, but he wanted to be able to specify a time and
>> have it display all the entries that were NEWER (or maybe older), so
>> that it where it gets harder.  Are there any shell shortcuts for data
>> comparisons?  I haven't gotten the trusty "UNIX in a Nutshell" out
>> yet...
>
> The 9th field is the Unix timestamp of the notification, so it would
> be trivial to compare that against a cut-off timestamp. Remember: The
> logfiles are BB compatible, and BB used shell scripts for most of its
> work. E.g.

Henrik, thanks for the example shell script in your previous message.
I've already got that configured on my server and round one is over,
which was simply to get the data into an area where a non-Tom can see
it.  ;)

I would still like to have a Hobbit option where our staff can search
through the notification logs in the same way we can search the events.

As for modifying the bb-eventlog.c approach, I actually spent about an
hour working on it and it appears that I would have to modify/create
many other files to have full access to all of the notification data I'd
need.  To make a bb-notifylog cgi, I think I'd have to create code in
hobbitd/lib/notification.c/h, add a chunk of html to
hobbitd/web/event_form, create hobbitd/bb-notifylog.c, sh, sh.DIST,
etc., and all of the necessary Makefile and menu_items.js changes.
Unless I'm missing the obvious, it's not the most straightforward task.

Tom

--
Tom Georgoulias
Systems Engineer