[hobbit] multiple hobbit server

Jones, Jason (Altrincham) JasonAS_Jones at mentor.com
Fri Feb 2 11:03:24 CET 2007

bbproxy is your friend, ok lets call the main server hobbitA and the
soon-to-be proxy hobbitB.

Alter hobbitlaunch.cfg on hobbitB:

[hobbitd]
	DISABLED

[bbproxy]
        ENVFILE /usr/local/hobbit/server/etc/hobbitserver.cfg
        CMD $BBHOME/bin/bbproxy --hobbitd
--bbdisplay=<hobbitAIP>,127.0.0.1 --listen=hobbitBIP --no-daemon
--pidfile=$BBSERVERLOGS/bbproxy.pid --report
        LOGFILE $BBSERVERLOGS/bbproxy.log

Hobbit*IP - external IP address

Restart hobbit

Also you need to copy the bb-hosts file from hobbit to hobbitA (if you
have devmon remove these tags).  Best thing to do, imo, is just copy it
across as bb-hosts(SITENAME) and put an include line in the bb-hosts
file on hobbitA, I don't suggest mounting hobbitB and sharing it that
way since if hobbitB goes down I don't know how hobbit reacts to a
non-extistent include statement.

On hobbitA alter hobbitserver.cfg:

BBLOCATION="String"

Restart hobbit

This way in the bb-hosts file if you put NET:String hobbit will know to
run ping tests from hobbitA.  So if you leave the NET tag out of the
bb-hosts(SITENAME) hobbit will not ping them from hobbitA (though you do
have to add the NET tag to any existing bb-hosts on hobbitA).

However it is worth putting the NET tag in bb-hosts(SITENAME) for the
proxy server and all network hardware between your main server and proxy
(so if the proxy goes down you don't have to wait for everything to go
purple to find out).

There are probably other ways of doing this but this is our set-up and
it only uses about 10kbps max! It may require some trial and error to
get all the things you want running to work though.

You can also try re-enabling hobbitd and add the --listening=127.0.0.1
option if you want hobbit to have it's own web page.

See also: http://www.hswn.dk/hobbit/help/manpages/man8/bbproxy.8.html

Hope this helps,
Jason.