[BUG] hobbitd_alert fails to execute script on large message

Charles Goyard charles.goyard at orange-ftgroup.com
Mon Dec 17 16:43:51 CET 2007

Hi,

I encounter a serious problem when using the following rule in hobbit-alerts.cfg :

EXSERVICE=_site
        SCRIPT=/usr2/hobbitlocal/bin/send_to foobar FORMAT=text RECOVERED REPEAT=6m

when BBALPHAMSG is large (ie a "procs" or "ports" on a very busy box),
the log says :

2007-12-17 16:31:01 Could not launch paging script /usr2/hobbitlocal/bin/send_to: Argument list too long

The problem is with execlp in do_alert.c.

I could use a different format (sms) for columns such as ports/procs and other
verbose ones, but it's not foolproof. (in the meantime, I'll do this
anyway).

Maybe a safer approach would be to add a SIZELIMIT=xxx in
hobbit-alerts.cfg or automatically
crop the BBALPHAMSG depending on the local OS prior to execlp().

Charles Goyard - charles.goyard at orange-ftgroup.com - (+33) 1 45 38 01 31
Orange Business Services - online multimedia  // ingénierie