[hobbit] hobit problem

Hubbard, Greg L greg.hubbard at eds.com
Tue Dec 11 20:03:51 CET 2007

Becki,

You need to pick one approach, and use that.  And how do you know it is
not working?

If you put your settings in hobbit-clients.cfg, they are never sent to
the client.  Instead, the Hobbit server takes these parameters into
account when it receives data from each Hobbit client.

>From the Hobbit man page for client-local.cfg:

"The client-local.cfg file contains settings that are used by each
Hobbit client when it runs on a monitored host. It provides a convenient
way of configuring clients from a central location without having to
setup special configuration maintenance tools on all clients.
The client-local.cfg file is currently used to configure what logfiles
the client should fetch data from, to be used as the basis for the
"msgs" status column; and to configure which files and directories are
being monitored in the "files" status column.

Note that there is a dependency between the client-local.cfg file and
the hobbit-clients.cfg(5) file. When monitoring e.g. a logfile, you must
first enter it into the client-local.cfg file, to trigger the Hobbit
client into reporting any data about the logfile. Next, you must
configure hobbit-clients.cfg so the Hobbit server knows what to look for
in the file data sent by the client. So: client-local.cfg defines what
raw data is collected by the client, and hobbit-clients.cfg defines how
to analyze them. "

Try this:

Pick a host (maybe your Hobbit server) that has a working client.
Update the hobbit-clients file with some silly settings, just for that
host.  Maybe you can alarm on a disk partition that is over 1 percent
used, or something like that.  Then sit back and watch for the status
updates and the alarms to appear.

Unless I have it wrong, you may be getting confused by the presence of
two very different configuration methods, coupled with the fact that
Hobbit is the "strong silent type" and quietly ignores many input
errors.

GLH