[hobbit] Critical Systems page displaying "Internal Server Error"

Gary Baluha gumby3203 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 19:42:13 CET 2007

It seems that the Critical Systems page has decided to stop working on me.
Any time I load the page, it just displays an Internal Server Error.  I
enabled the --debug option, and in the apache error logs, I see the
following message:

[Sun Dec 02 11:11:46 2007] [error] [client x.x.x.x] malformed header from
script. Bad header=HOST=: hobbit-nkview.sh

"HOST" happens to be the first entry in the hobbit-nkview.cfg file.  I have
tried a couple of changes to the config file to see what would happen.  I
first tried deleting the entire contents of the configuration file, and
still get the Internal Server Error.  When this happens, I don't see any
entry added to the apache error log.  If I go back to the original
hobbit-nkview.cfg file and just delete the first entry, the error above
changes to "HOSTB", where HOSTB was the host below HOST, but is now the
first.  Essentially, I have determined that whatever is the first entry in
the hobbit-nkview.cfg file is the host that appears as the "Bad header=" in
the error above.

The hobbit-nkview.cfg file has not changed in at least a week, and the
Critical Systems page was working as of only 3 days ago.  Any idea what's
going on?  I have seen the "Internal Server Error" problem come up before,
but it would usually be fine on the next reload of the page.  Also, the HOST
that the error message is complaining about doesn't have any non-green
alerts, so it appears to be some problem with the parsing of the
configuration file.  Is there additional logging I can turn on?  I tried
enabling the --debug for the bb-display module, but that just produced a
huge amount of logging, but nothing that helped to narrow down the problem.