[hobbit] Diagnosing client data (vmstat)

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Aug 30 17:53:36 CEST 2007

On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 11:39:11AM -0400, ye-fee liang wrote:
> Two questions:
>
> 1. what's the format of [vmstat] ouput that the Hobbit server is expecting?

Depends on the operating system. Hobbit uses the operating system ID
(usually "uname -s" converted to lowercase) to identify what sequence
the vmstat columns are in, and based on that feeds the data into the
corresponding datasets in the vmstat RRD file.

> The sar command is not available, so I'm substituting with iostat output that
> looks like:
>
>   [vmstat]
> cpu utilizaton stat using iostat:
> 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 16 1 0 13 0 0 0 100
> 0 0   0 0   0 0 0 0 0 0   0 0 0 0 0 100 0

Won't work, unless you write code in Hobbit to parse it. What operating
system is this ? IRIX, I suppose - it's  the only one where the client uses
"sar" to collect vmstat data.

> 2. on server side, how do we debug/trace when client data have arrived?

Login as the hobbit user and run

   bbcmd hobbitd_channel --channel=client cat

This will dump the client-data messages that Hobbit receives.