[hobbit] Requesting a common encrypted port number for hobbit client/server

T.J. Yang tj_yang at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 21 11:36:46 CEST 2007

>From: henrik at hswn.dk (Henrik Stoerner)
>To: hobbit at hswn.dk
>Subject: Re: [hobbit] Requesting a common encrypted port number for hobbit
>client/server
>Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 22:47:57 +0200
>
>On Sun, Aug 19, 2007 at 08:40:38AM -0500, T.J. Yang wrote:
> >
> > Just and idea, port 1984 over the years got recognized by some kind of
> > Internet organization as default port for bb client/server communication
> > port.
> >
> > Should we (hobbit community) pursue a common port number for hobbit
> > client/server  encrypted communication ?
>
>I don't think this is necessary, and I'm not even sure such an
>application will be accepted.
>
>The current trend for protocols that operate with both plain-text
>and encrypted traffic is to start with an un-encrypted connection, and
>then use a "STARTTLS" command to turn on encryption. The two sides can
>then negotiate if they can/will communicate.
>
>Since this appears to be the method preferred by the Internet
>authorities, that's the one I've though about implementing. That
>shouldn't stop you from using stunnel, though.

If hb encryption via stunnel is implemented then  a port for plaintext
redirection is needed.
thus the idea of requesting  non-taken port( from iana) for hobbit encrypted
message.

For my understanding, BB Pro can do message encryption already and looks
like they
are using port 1984 also.

What is the impact of  mixing  bb encrypted message and hb encrypted message
protocols on same port number ? and I don't believe Quest publish the bb
message encryption protocol.

I think getting a port for hobbit itself is still  good in the long run.