[hobbit] Highlights of the 4.3.0 version

Haertig, David F (Dave) haertig at avaya.com
Fri Aug 3 22:15:25 CEST 2007

Sometimes the real world runs interference for Utopia.  While in Utopia
you want to analyse, find the root cause, and fix everything before
proceding, you can't always do that.  When an outage of one hour costs
your company tens of thousands of dollars, you can't justify withholding
a simple bandaid (so long as you don't then ignore the long term fix).

Most everything I do in Hobbit is a custom script.  Restarting crashed
processes is one of the least of my worries.  Although in some rare
cases I do just that (short term), with appropriate logging and email to
the app developement team.  The corporate expense of having the app down
is too great to let Utopian ideas prevail.

Most of the automated Hobbit stuff I do is not restarting dead apps
(luckily, that is very infrequent around here).  It's more mundane.  One
example is disk space.  A full filesystem would shut many things down.
Apps should not fill a filesystem, but sometimes they do.  So my custom
Hobbit scripts first scream and scream about low disk space, even
analysing things down to specific subdirectories and fast growing files
and doing trend analysis.  But if their call is not answered, they start
freeing up space from a "private reserve" I have set aside to deal with
emergencies.  So if we experience a sudden unexpected blowup in a
filesystem at 3am, Hobbit keeps things running in production until the
appropriate people can look into and diagnose the problem.  This may not
be Utopian behavior, but it sure is practical at 3am in the morning!

But my vote would be for Hobbit out-of-the-box to NOT attempt automated
repair actions.  That should be left to the Hobbit administrator.  We
can write custom monitor scripts or custom alert scripts to add this
functionality if it's appropriate for our environments.  It's trivial to
integrate your own scripting into Hobbit.

I sure wish I worked in Utopia though.  The job would be a helluva lot
less stressful!  :-)