hobbitd_alert: Servers on multiple pages & PAGE= rules

s_aiello at comcast.net s_aiello at comcast.net
Tue Apr 17 16:28:08 CEST 2007

Since I have not seen a response I will assume there presently isn't a known
workaround. The only workaround I can come up with is the use of MACROS in
the hobbit-alerts.cfg. Basically using MACROS to define a group of hosts, and
then creating an alert rule with HOST=$MacroName.
$GROUPA=%HOSTA|HOSTB|HOSTC|HOSTF
HOST=$GROUPA

This would be similar to HostGroup (hg-) in BigBrother. I haven't tested this
yet. I was hoping that PAGE= would work for any page a Device is listed on
and not just the top level one. That would make management of alert rules
much easier and was one of the big features in Hobbit I was looking forward
to.

I still do not know if PAGE= only working for the top level Page listing is a
Bug or not. I did see a past mailing list article
(http://www.hobbitmon.com/hobbiton/2005/05/msg0t0211.html) and a patch to fix
hobbitd_alert --test option. I did not see that patch mentioned in the
all-in-one patch, nor was I able to apply the patch, there was an error.

I believe this issue is also bigger then just the failure occuring during
the --test option. I do not see alert rules being applied in the info page,
nor do I receive alerts. I tried looking into the code, but was unable to
come up with an answer/fix myself.

Henrik, or anyone else, if you have time to dig into this, I would appreciate
it greatly.

 ~Steve