[hobbit] Hostname in tree but no hostinfo

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Mon Apr 9 23:09:23 CEST 2007

On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 12:22:00PM -0600, Tod Hansmann wrote:
> In our hobbitd.log we have several messages stating:
> "Hostname '<various>' in tree, but no hostinfo."
>
> This is in a migration from bb to hobbit, and all 22 hosts mentioned are
> no longer in the bb-hosts file.  I have used 'bb 127.0.0.1 "drop
> <hostname>"' in an attempt to get rid of it, but no success.  So our
> hobbitd column sits at yellow.

I see you've found a solution to the problem.

This is one of those "this is impossible but let's check just in case"
things that programmers check because they do happen anyway. The error
is logged when hobbitd responds to a status query, typically when the
web pages are updated with the current status of all the hosts.

Hobbit has one data structure holding all of the test-results that
have been reported, and another data structure holding the list of hosts
it knows about (basically, it's the contents of the bb-hosts file).
Obviously, a status cannot refer to a host that isn't in the bb-hosts
file; status messages from unknown hosts are ignored (they only show up
in the "ghost" list), and if a host is removed from bb-hosts then it
should be detected at the time the bb-hosts file is reloaded, and any
status messages should then be purged - and they should definitely
disappear after you do a "drop" on the host.

So this is a symptom of an inconsistency in the data Hobbit has in
memory.

I know there is a bug in the way hosts are dropped from the internal
tree, and this could well be an effect of this bug. So it is probably
wise to stop Hobbit and restart it - this bug has the potential to cause
hobbitd to go into a state where it just spins using 100% cpu time.
Restarting Hobbit will clean up the inconsistent data it has in memory.