[hobbit] "snapshot report" generating wide variety of report times?

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Fri Sep 1 19:21:41 CEST 2006

On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 01:00:58PM -0400, Jeffrey Chandler wrote:

> On 9/1/06, Brodie, Kent <brodie at mcw.edu> wrote:
> >
> > Hi- when I run the "snapshot report" (say, for 9am, August 31), the main
> >system display shows a date of Aug 31, 9am. Cool.  But as soon as I drill
> >down to any server's report (cpu, disk, procs, whatever)- the actual dates
> >of the report displayed are all over the place- days and even weeks off.
> >(Aug 15, Aug 22, etc).
>
> I noticed that yesterday too.  It is showing up as the last date at which
> the status has changed.  For instance, in some of my servers, the status has
> been green since Aug. 11 on some of the columns, and if I do a snapshot
> report for anytime between now and Aug. 11, the status page for that column
> shows up as what was reported on Aug. 11.
>
> Is there a way to fix this so each snapshot, is accurate according to the
> data, and not the status color, to when you are taking the snapshot?

Doing that would require Hobbit to store - on disk - each and every
status report that arrives, every 5 minutes. This would require a lot
of disk space, add a huge overhead due to all of the I/O activity
needed, and generally result in a significant degradation of Hobbit
performance.

I think that is too high a price to pay for having the right timestamps
on a snapshot report.

The color is right on the drill down status page. And that's the
primary purpose of the snapshot report.