[hobbit] Installing hobbit help

Matthew Davis matthew at familycampground.org
Tue Oct 31 06:55:31 CET 2006

On 10/30/06, David Hay Currie <davidh at port.state.de.us> wrote:
> I am trying to install hobbit in a Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 server. I
> talked earlier with Red Hat and they say that they don't support rpm which
> are not downloaded from the Red Hat network.

I run rhel3/rhel4 boxes and rebuild the rpm's provided from the
sourceforge website.  I rebuild the .src.rpm.  There are a few
dependencies not provided by RHN that I had to use the Dag repo for.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=128058&package_id=140220
http://dag.wieers.com/apt/

> For security reasons I should not run hobbit as root. I understand that, but
> should I run the installation as root, or as hobbit?

Run the processes as hobbit.  The above RPMs will create the hobbit
user (if it doesn't exist) and run the processes as the hobbit user.

> Which would be the best folder for installation? I know this is a bit more

The one the rpm's use are decent enough to base your deployment from:

/usr/lib/hobbit
/var/lib/hobb
/etc/hobbit

Those are the main dirs used by the server and client rpms.

--
Matthew Davis
http://familycampground.org/matthew/