[hobbit] Hobbit-perl-notes

Allan Spencer allan at zandahar.net
Tue Oct 31 00:50:30 CET 2006

Francesco Duranti wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've just uploaded on sourceforge the first version of my notes editing
> system.
> I'm finish to test it so consider it a beta :D (probably full of bug :D
> )
> You can find it on the sourceforge page
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/hobbit-perl-cl/ with also all the other
> software I did (hobbit-perl-client, hobbit-perl-graph and bb-cfg2html).
>
> I hope that the Install instruction are complete but it's possible that
> I've forgot something (probably some chmod/chown to be done). If you
> have any problem let me know so I can correct the bugs that will came
> out.
>
> Francesco
>

> This is the description of what you'll find in it:
>
> hobbitperl-notes is a complete notes editing and reporting system for
> hobbit server.
> It's fully customizable via web and you can create new fields and change
> data via a simple web interface.
> You can put links, email address and even phone number (if you have a
> voip software that will do the call via a web interface). Data can be
> assigned to 4 categories (Hardware/Software/Procedure/General) and
> you'll also have a link to the old documntation file if they're present
> in the notes directory (hostname.html and hostname file are recognized).
> Link can point to web pages (you can also put $HOSTNAME on a link to be
> substituted with the hostname you're currently viewing) or to unc
> windows path (put a \\servername\pathto\file.doc to open a word file
> located in the share \\servername\pathto).
> On the notes pages there will also be a clickable list of all services
> monitored for that host with the last time of state change.
>
> You can create groups to assign them to more then one host without the
> need of rewrite basic information like software vendor and support
> link/email.  You can also link server with other server so you can move
> between database server/application server/web server of a single
> application without the need to return to the hobbit pages.
> Last but not least you can also create csv report of a selected part
> (host and field you want to report) of the data collected to be
> elaborated by a spreadsheet to have a documentation of all your systems.
>
> Editing notes will create file named hostname.cfg in the notes directory
> of your hobbit server.
>
> After you've followed the installation instruction you've just to click
> on a hostname on the hobbit web pages to go to the notes interface and
> from there you can edit that host data or the default parameters (here
> you can add groups, fields and change the order of displayed data).

> hobbit-unsubscribe at hswn.dk

Well I'll tell you first up if I can follows the instructions and make
it work anyone can :) Theyre pretty much right on the money only thing I
missed first time was needing Config::IniFiles but a quick second look
at the readme cleared that up.

I've been waiting for someone to create something like this as I have no
clues how to do it myself. I know theres going to be a few people here
that will find this quite useful. I've already had a request to remove
some fields and add new ones which I've already figured out how to do so
thats also another nice thing.

Not sure if my eyes are playing tricks on me as I've had no sleep but it
looked as it the fonts on the notes pages were different ? No biggie if
theyre not I'm sure thats the least of anyones worries

Cheers

Allan