[hobbit] Just a suggestion : License change from GPL to BSD

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Sat Oct 28 09:36:11 CEST 2006

On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 05:41:09PM -0500, Larry Barber wrote:
> With the GPL you don't have to "give back" changes unless you transfer the
> program to another company or individual. The GPL just requires that the
> code be available wherever the binaries are. You are perfectly free, under
> the GPL, to change anything you want for your own use, and not give anybody
> else the changes.

You're right, of course - but I don't see that as a problem. What you do
internally for your own benefit is not something I need to be involved in.
(Of course, if you do something really neat and generally useful, I would
appreciate it if you would share it with the rest of us).

The problem with the BSD license from my point of view is that it is
unfair - you can take my code and benefit from it (eg sell it), but
I cannot get your improvements and use them to benefit the whole
project, or even just my own use of Hobbit. It's an anti-social
license, and I really don't see any reason why it would be beneficial
to change license.

(The "more companies would participate if it were BSD licensed" argument
is rubbish. There are lots of examples of companies contributing code to
GPL-licensed projects, simply because it is in their best interest to
have an active community working on the software that they use - and
even rely upon for their business).