[hobbit] Reducing time in port monitoring

Allan Spencer allan at zandahar.net
Fri Oct 20 04:44:40 CEST 2006

Trent Melcher wrote:

> I need to monitor port 8888 on one of my servers.  Currently I have
> this setup and working fine.  What I need to do is redurce the time to
> every minute.  Im guessing I need to drop the INTERVAL down on the
> client to 1m so it send the client file to the hobbit server every
> minute.  What do I need to change on the Hobbit server to read the
> clients data every minute for the port stats?  Is it as simple as
> adding the port:60 to the servers entry in the bb-hosts file?
>

> Thanks
>
> Trent
>

> Trent Melcher
> Unix/Linux Systems Administrator
> Securities America Financial Corporation
> (402) 399-9111 x2774
> tmelcher at saionline.com
>
> Securities America, Inc., a Registered Broker/Dealer, Member
> NASD/SIPC. Advisory services offered through Securities America
> Advisors, Inc., an SEC Registered Investment Advisory
>
> The text of this communication is confidential, and use by any person
> who is not the intended recipient is prohibited.  Any person who
> receives this communication in error is requested to immediately
> destroy the text of this communication without copying or further
> dissemination.  Your cooperation is appreciated.

 From memory this can be done by spawning a second bbnet instance and
setting its time to a lesser value, and then using the BBLOCATION flag
in the hosts file against a particular host so ONLY that host gets
tested on the more frequent time.

Not entirely sure if you can set a second location for only one test for
example host=xyz.acme.com and your testing http smtp ftp but you ONLY
want http tested every 60 secs and the rest the default 5

Hopefully someone can expand on it or at least give you the right idea
of where to look. There is a thread in the arvhice with thre subject
"fping tuning"  Dated towards the end of April this year that might help
you out more

Cheers
Allan