rounding bug? Re: [hobbit] Trending graphs and their meaning on hobbit wiki

Gildas Le Nadan gn1 at sanger.ac.uk
Mon Oct 16 15:24:29 CEST 2006

T.J. Yang wrote:
> I am trying to put up a place for hobbit trending graphs to be displayed
> and analyzed for its meaning.
>
> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/System_Monitoring_with_Hobbit/Administration_Guide#Trending_graphs_interpretations
>

> Please post your trending graph that shows problems and it interpretation.
>
> in my ping graph, I don't unstand why the line change some much.
 >
 > T.J. Yang

Hi,

I also have a lot on "triangle shape" graphs, especially on machines that are
quite idle and with a very low latency.

I heavily suspect that those are caused by rounding errors when the values are
small.

You can see the problem on those two examples (one has a "baseline", the other a
"ceiling"):

http://lenadan.gildas.free.fr/hobbit/tcp_example1.png
http://lenadan.gildas.free.fr/hobbit/tcp_example2.png

Cheers,