[hobbit] hobbit client init script

Japheth J.C. Cleaver cleaver at redwire.net
Fri Oct 6 21:51:46 CEST 2006

Henrik Stoerner wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 01:19:52PM +0100, Gildas Le Nadan wrote:
>
>> The way the hobbit init script works (at least on debian), a lot of
>> processes are left running on the host when doing a
>> "/etc/init.d/hobbit-client stop".
>>
>> Is there any reason for this?
>
> You mean the vmstat processes ?
>
> The reason is that they run pretty independent of everything else, just
> collecting data over a 5 minute period. They will terminate by
> themselves after at most 5 minutes; and if you're shutting down the
> system, they will get killed.
>
> It's not that it has to be this way, but it was just the easiest way of
> doing it.

A "kill `ps -u hobbit -o pid | grep -v PID`" in the initscript works as
well.

While the subject of initscripts is up, I've been using one locally for
a while that integrates runclient.sh's actions directly into the code.
It's been working well for me, and - combined with more regexing of
BBHOME and redirect variables out of the .spec file - might be useful to
some as a replacement.

Comments welcome :)

http://mirrors.redwire.net/pub/local-rpms/packages/hobbit/hobbit-client.initscript.fedora
http://mirrors.redwire.net/pub/local-rpms/packages/hobbit/hobbit.initscript.fedora