[hobbit] HTTP Test Timeout & Delays

Ralph Mitchell ralphmitchell at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 07:27:29 CET 2006

On 11/16/06, James Wade <jkwade at futurefrontiers.com> wrote:

> ie… I went from about 30 to 60 URL's.
>
> Does Hobbit stager URL checks? Is there a way to stager them?

I don't know about Hobbit staggering URL checks, but I'm doing a whole
bunch more than 60 using scripts fired off by cron.  Most of them
repeat every ten minutes, some every five mins or every minute, and
I've spread them out using cron settings.

These are mostly scripts left over from a previous Big Brother
installation.  I haven't yet converted them to live entirely in a
Hobbit universe, so they still load up the BB definitions and use the
BB bin/bb program to deliver reports, but they're working just fine
from cron,.  In fact, most of them were never fired off by the BB ext
script functions.  My old, single 733MHz cpu DL380 was trucking along
without a problem, running around 1600 checks spread out over 400-odd
hosts, until it blew out its power supply...

I don't know offhand how many of my url checks could be converted -
quite a few checks are doing logins, or following links through
several pages - but I was thinking of doing exactly that.  Maybe I'll
rethink that strategy... :)

Ralph Mitchell