[hobbit] Data, bb-hostsvc.sh

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Fri Nov 10 07:37:41 CET 2006

On Thu, Nov 09, 2006 at 05:00:55PM -0600, James Wade wrote:

> When I click on "Client data Available", I get a pop up window
> saying "Unknown File Type".  I open the file with word, and
> everything looks fine, except no HTML headers or footers.

The client data is a plain-text document.

> Everything else is working, and this function was working.
> It just stopped. I've double checked my httpd.conf in apache,
> and I haven't changed it since the original install. (I added
> all the AddHandlers, etc. as described in the install docs)
>
> I've checked privileges, and I haven't changed those either
> since the original install. I can execute the hobbitsvc.cgi
> script and it gives me:

To really execute it, you need to set the environment variables that
your webserver normally provides. I.e.

   REQUEST_METHOD=GET \
   SCRIPT_NAME=bb-hostsvc.sh \
   QUERY_STRING="CLIENT=my.host.name" \
   ~hobbit/cgi-bin/bb-hostsvc.sh

You'll see then that it begins with

   client voodoo,hswn,dk.linux
   [date]
   Fri Nov 10 07:25:36 CET 2006

so your browser is getting a "text/plain" document back, and for some
reason will not render this by itself.

Apparently, this happens *sometimes* with Internet Explorer. I don't
know what causes it, though - my guess is some policy setting that only
permits text/html to be rendered in the browser.