Questions about dbcheck

shea_greg at emc.com shea_greg at emc.com
Thu Nov 9 16:17:15 CET 2006

Hi all,

I have some questions and some observations to share about installing
DBD::Sybase on RHEL 4.
First the observations

Originally I installed the hobbit-perl-client on my BB development box,
Sun Ultra-80 Solaris 8.
All Perl modules and freetds were built using defaults, no prefix
options passed to configure.
Everything built fine and tested dbcheck to an MSSQL server and all
worked as expected.

Now I do the same thing on my Hobbit development box, Dell 2650 RHEL 4
and it just wouldn't work.
I ran dbcheck on an MySQL server and that was fine, so I know it's not
the hobbit-perl-client.
A little more digging and I found that other people have had similar
problems with DBD::Sybase
and it turns out to be an issue with how freetds was built.  I had to
rebuild freetds with the
--prefix=/usr/local/freetds argument to configure and then rebuild
DBD::Sybase with these
environment variables set SYBASE=/usr/local/freetds, and
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}:/usr/local/freetds/lib.
Once built I used the same environment variables when running dbcheck
for MSSQL and voila!!

If this is an abnormal installation, or general knowledge, then I
apologize for taking up your time.

Now for the questions
I didn't want the dbcheck uptime column overwriting the uptime stats I
receive from the BBWin client
So in the dbcheck.ini defaults section I added:
uptimeascolumn = yes
uptimecolumn = DBuptime
So now the uptime column reflects the uptime reported by BBWin, but I
don't have a DBuptime column.
What am I doing wrong ?

Also, the tblspcheck is set to the default 90:95, yet all tablespaces
that are over these limits
just show green.

Any assistance would be appreciated
Thanks