[hobbit] URL monitoring

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed May 31 22:50:33 CEST 2006

On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 01:34:48PM -0700, Dan Simoes wrote:

> Do you have any suggestions on how to mate a rapidly changing list of URLs
> with the bb-hosts file?

How rapid is "rapid" ? Once or twice a day, or several times a minute ?

My immediate thought is to put an "include urlhosts.txt" in the bb-hosts
file, and then have some script which updates the "urlhosts.txt" file
with your dynamic list of URL's and the "hosts" you want to map them to.
I don't know if all of your URL's pertain to the same host(s), but if
you have several hundred then you may want to split them up in some
way that makes sense for your setup. Remember, "hosts" (entries in the
bb-hosts file) need not be real, physical servers. They are really just
entities that you can connect with a series of tests.

So come up with a script to generate the urlhosts.txt file in bb-hosts
format, like
   0.0.0.0   web1   # noconn http://web1.foo.com/ https://web1.foo.com/breakingnews/
   0.0.0.0   web2   # noconn http://....

> Also, I assume that hobbit, like bb, requires a restart whenever bb-hosts
> changes?

Nope. Hobbit automatically reloads the bb-hosts file every 10 minutes,
or when you send it a HUP signal.

> Finally, has anyone compiled a list of differences between bb and hobbit,
> sort of like "Hobbit for BB admins"?  I've encountered some minor
> differences here and there, which is not unexpected.

I guess there are some differences, but I've been embroiled in Hobbit
for so long I've lost track of how BB did things. So someone else will
have to answer that one.