hobbit 4.1.2p1 on AIX 5.2

Mark Christoph mdchristoph at gmail.com
Tue May 30 19:03:32 CEST 2006

Greetings!

I use hobbit to monitor a network of both Solaris and AIX machines.  The
hobbit server and client compiled without any problems on Solaris.  But I
ran into some problems on AIX 5.2.  During the compile I got errors like
this:

In file included from hobbit-4.1.2p1/include/libbbgen.h:24,
                 from sendmsg.c:35:
hobbit-4.1.2p1/lib/osdefs.h:21: error: conflicting types for `socklen_t'
/usr/include/sys/socket.h:80: error: previous declaration of `socklen_t'
sendmsg.c: In function `sendtobbd':
sendmsg.c:322: warning: passing arg 5 of `getsockopt' from incompatible
pointer type

My workaround was to edit hobbit-4.1.2p1/lib/osdefs.h to change this line:

typedef int socklen_t;

to this:

typedef __ulong32_t socklen_t;

Then I was able to compile the client and it works.

But when I try to graph network bits/second using
TRENDS:*,netstat:netstat|netstat0 in the bb-hosts entry for my AIX machines,
I get blank spots in the graph.  The packets per second graph looks fine.
But there are gaps in the bits per second graph on my busiest servers.  Also
the current value at the bottom of the bits per second graph will be NaN.

Has anyone else dealt with these two problems?  Are they related?  I have
checked the archives and have not seen any messages mentioning these exact
problems.

Thank you,

Mark