[hobbit] Monitoring RAID status

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Mon May 29 23:18:05 CEST 2006

Hi Thorsten,

On Thu, Apr 13, 2006 at 03:52:33PM +0200, Thorsten.Erdmann at daimlerchrysler.com wrote:

> I once extended the BigBrothers Disk Script to show a status dot and the
> sync status of mirrored disks in front of every filesystems status line.
> Now I migrated to Hobbit. Nearly all works fine but this extension causes
> the disk graphs to fail. If I understand it right, the do_disk.c program
> simply reads each line of the status file and displays the fifth column as
> the disk usage. Since my outfile from the client has two columns in front
> of each line this fails. The disk usage is now on column seven.

You're reading the code correctly. It's not the optimal way of doing it,
but it works in most cases.

> I can now alter the C code but that's bad if I ever install a new version
> of Hobbit. So is there any idea out there how to add data to an output
> file without disturbing the Hobbit's standard functions.

The optimal solution would be to change the code to look for the column
header indicating where the used percentage is, so that it would adjust
to changes in the column layout automatically. However, this is tricky
to get right with the variations in df output that Hobbit must handle.

I don't have an easy solution for you right now, I'm afraid. Other than
changing the do_disk code yourself.

> BTW: the disk test on a RedHat Box shows one "graph" to much. It's only a
> non referenced link, so I think Hobbit tries to interpret things that it
> cannot read, maybe the title line of the DF commmand's output.

Getting that count of filesystems right is another very difficult excercise.