Combo Message of Hobbit Questions :)

Charles Jones jonescr at cisco.com
Sun May 28 11:46:45 CEST 2006

I have several questions, none of them related to each other:

1.  I notice that "logfetch" is suid root. Will the hobbit client
function normally if it is not suid and it is owned by the hobbit client
user (assuming the hobbit client user can read /var/log/messages)? If so
the client "make install" should not fail when being installed as the
hobbit user.

2. Is there or will there be an option to not display the "Files"
column? I'm not doing file checks on most hosts, and I'm tired of people
asking me "why is that dot white?" :)

3. Can we use regular expressions or wildcards in the "expect" option of
bb-services?

4. If you update client-local.cfg, do you have to restart the clients
for them to receive the new configurations, or will they pick it up on
their next connect?

5. I have previously brought up the issue of Acknowledging alerts
requires having the alert number from the alert email. This is a problem
for folks who just monitor the web page, or more likely, find it
frustrating to have to go find and open the alert email to cut and paste
the number. What would be nice is if the Acknowledge alert page
displayed all of the hosts currently in alert status, and let you select
and ack them (either with seperate explanations, or a single for all
selected).

6. I think I remember long ago you were considering adding a
bbfetch-like functionality, to handle the cases where the remote hosts
are behind a firewall/DMZ and the only port open was for SSH. Basically
the Hobbit client would have an option to, instead of sending data to
the hobbit server, write it to a static datafile that the hobbit server
would scp over and process. Is this still on the drawing board?

Enough questions for now...Thanks for making such a great product!
-Charles