[hobbit] Any plan for hobbit to use GNU autoconf ?

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Tue May 9 14:16:01 CEST 2006

On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 06:26:16AM -0500, T.J. Yang wrote:
> Is there a reason that autoconf is not used ?
>
> I have the book(R1) , interest and some spare time.
>
> R1: http://sourceware.org/autobook/

It's mostly due to the fact that I have never developed configuration
scripts that use autoconf, so it was easier (i.e. faster) for me to
just work around the various configuration oddities that the Unix
flavours have.

If you look through the Hobbit source, you will actually find very few
places where it has been necessary to write platform-specific code.
Try running
 find . -name "*.[ch]" | \
 xargs egrep "ifdef|ifndef|if defined" | \
 egrep -v "ifndef _.*_H|MEMORY_DEBUG|STANDALONE|BBGEN_|RRDTOOL12|LDAP|BEA2"
and you'll see that it's mostly whether select() is in sys/select.h,
and some code that depends on large file support.

So the benefit of learning and migrating the code to use autoconf has
not been large enough for me to actually go ahead and do it.

But I am always open to patches from people who have an interest in
enhancing Hobbit. So if you would like to do it, please do!