[hobbit] Possible bugs

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Tue May 9 12:41:37 CEST 2006

On Sat, May 06, 2006 at 10:24:35PM +0200, Kolbj?rn Barmen wrote:

> I have a handfull of issues (IT jargon for "problems") with Hobbit that
> I'm not sure whether are bugs or just misconfigurations on my part:
>
> * Menu: Administration -> Find
>   No matter what host I search for, the resulting page claims the machine
>   location is "Top page" - I wonder, could this be so because I use alternate
>   pages for all hosts?

It is. The current "alternate page" system is a rather ugly hack I did
for Big Brother back in the days when Hobbit was just generating some
webpages through the bbgen tool - it really just does a dynamic re-write
of the bb-hosts file when it is loaded into bbgen for generating the
overview web pages.

You'll probably also see the wrong location on the "info" status page
for your hosts.

Hobbit has never really been aware that a host can appear on different
pages, depending on the page-set you use. I need to implement that, but
it will require adding the page-set as a parameter for all of the
dynamically generated webpages.

> * The Help-menu assumes that hobbit-URL is /hobbit, which is not the case
>   for me at least, so I put an alias for /hobbit/ in my apache config.

Hmm - it shouldn't. The URL for the help system is configured into the
menu_items.js file when you build Hobbit. Perhaps you configured it for
/hobbit/ the first time ? Since this file is end-user configurable, it
will not be overwritten when you upgrade or re-install Hobbit.

> * Missing manpages:
>   /hobbit/help/manpages/man1/hobbit-confreport.cgi.1.html
>   /hobbit/help/manpages/man1/hobbit-statusreport.cgi.1.html
>   /hobbit/help/manpages/man1/hobbit-ackinfo.cgi.1.html
>   /hobbit/help/manpages/man1/hobbit-nkview.cgi.1.html
>   /hobbit/help/manpages/man1/hobbit-nkedit.cgi.8.html
>   (the latter should probably be in man8 anyhow, I guess)

Yep, these are on my list of missing docs.

> * I'm probably stupid or lazy, but I cant make any sense of the NK
>   editor, nothing happens when I try to use it, and the man pages are
>   missing. My /etc/hobbit/hobbit-nkview.cfg exists and is writeable for
>   the webserver, the search button gives no results, and the apache log
>   doesnt say much either. Any tip?

I'll add some examples of how to use it in the docs. Probably as an HTML
document with some screen-shots.