[hobbit] FW: Question on RRD graph

Hubbard, Greg L greg.hubbard at eds.com
Fri Mar 24 15:54:51 CET 2006

You need to change from DERIVE to something else.  DERIVE computes the
rate of change in each sample period, and handles rollovers pretty well.
The base value for DERIVE is "widgets per second" and the number is
scaled.  Since your printers probably can't print a lot of pages per
second, you are getting fractions.  One trick is to simply scale the
number back up to be what you want in the sample period.  (multiply the
stored value by 300, for instance, to get back the change in the counter
during 5 minutes.  The RRDTool documentation (look in Google) will
explain how to use RPN to calculate a value based on data in the RRD.

But if you simply want to graph the count as it increases over time
until it rolls over or is reset, then change from DERIVE to GUAGE.  I
imagine you will have to delete your existing RRD files if you make this
change.

Good luck!

GLH