hobbit-mailack questions

ZanDAhaR allan at zandahar.net
Tue Mar 21 01:55:56 CET 2006

Hey guys

Previously we have only use email to pager and pure email for alerts out
of hobbit but recently have been fiddling with some email to sms
software and am wanting to integrate it into hobbit. We've never used
the mailack before so I set it up before and got it all working with a
mail reply. After playing with the sms software some more it has raised
a few more questions so here goes.

The sms software uses a phone connected via serial and collects mail
messages from a pop3 account and then sends them via them phone itself.
Obviously sms has no subject so I am just wondering how the mailack
would work when recieving a message back ? By default does it look for
the ACK code only in the subject or does it also look in the body ? If
by default it only looks in the subject is it possible for us to bodge
up the code and tell it to read from the body & subject, or just the body ?

The SMS comes into the phone, the software sucks it out of the phone and
sends it via smtp to a user via a relay host. When it does this you get
2 choices...leave the subject blank...or put some text in there such as
'SMS Message' so theres no way of being able to have a subject with the
ACK code in there.

The software we are currently testing is from http://www.winsms.com and
its actually the Linux version even tho the Windows version is exactly
the same.

I know the SMS bit is a little beyond the default operation but I'm sure
you can see why we would want to achieve something like this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Allan