[hobbit] whois to act like sslcert?

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Fri Jun 30 18:22:34 CEST 2006

On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 11:36:45AM -0400, Jason Chambers wrote:

> Is there any way to get a whois type function to act like sslcert to
> warn you when your dns is about to expire? I know it sounds cheesy, but
> I thought it would be a neat idea.

I agree it would be neat, but unfortunately the "whois" protocol is
completely machine-unfriendly. The only way to get the information would
be to do a "whois DOMAINNAME" and try and find the expiration date.
But there is no sure way of identifying those data.

Besides, many "whois" servers limit the number of queries allowed. So
querying them every 5 minutes would probably raise a few eyebrows.

And finally, some "whois" servers just restrict access to all of the
information, showing you only whether the domain is registered or not.

So I'd suggest you write a custom script for this. I've attached one
which works at least for .dk, .com and .co.uk registrations. It's
probably wise to run this only once a day.