[hobbit] Couple possible enhancement requests?

Dominique Frise Dominique.Frise at unil.ch
Fri Jun 30 07:24:47 CEST 2006

David Gore wrote:
> We have had several complete failures of the hobbit client when it hangs
> trying to look at remote file systems.  Do you think the -l option
> should be the default?  We typically do not care about NFS mounted or
> NIS mounted file systems although others may.  Of course when Hobbit
> hangs ALL the tests go purple and you are unaware when it happens in the
> middle of the night.
>
>  From the Solaris man page:
>
>     -l    Report on local file systems only. This option is used
>           only  for mounted file systems. It cannot be used with
>           the -o option.
>
> I was also wondering if 'bbcmd' could be upgraded to accommodate
> different home directories?  It appears to use the home directory that
> you compiled it with which works most of the time except when you copy
> bbcmd to a client host with a different home directory.
>
> nmsbb at thisHost:/var/home/nmsbb/client> bin/bbcmd perl ext/bb-se.pl
> 2006-06-29 16:27:37 Using default environment file
> /export/home/nmsbb/client/etc/hobbitclient.cfg
> 2006-06-29 16:27:37 Cannot open env file
> /export/home/nmsbb/client/etc/hobbitclient.cfg - No such file or directory

$ man bbcmd
Reformatting page.  Please Wait... done

User Commands                                            BBCMD(1)

NAME
      bbcmd - Run a Hobbit command with environment set

SYNOPSIS
      bbcmd --env=ENVFILE COMMAND

DESCRIPTION
      bbcmd(1) is a utility that can setup the Hobbit  environment
      variables   as   defined  in  a  hobbitlaunch(8)  compatible
      environment definition file, and then execute a command with
      this  environment  in  place.  It is mostly used for testing
      extension scripts or in other situations where you  need  to
      run a single command with the environment in place.

      The "--env=ENVFILE" option points bbcmd to  the  file  where
      the environment definitions are loaded from.

      COMMAND is the command  to  execute  after  setting  up  the
      environment.

      If you want to run multiple commands, it is often easiest to
      just  use  "sh"  as the COMMAND - this gives you a sub-shell
      with the environment defined globally.

SEE ALSO
      hobbitlaunch(8), hobbit(7)

Hobbit Lasttchange: Version 4.2-beta-20060601: 31 May 2006      1

Dominique
UNIL - University of Lausanne