[hobbit] turning up (way up) debugging for the conn tests

Tom Georgoulias tomg at mcclatchyinteractive.com
Mon Jun 26 16:03:49 CEST 2006

Henrik Stoerner wrote:

>> 3.  Would a hobbit network test ever initiate a connection using UDP on
>> a high numbered port, like 37383?
>
> No.

BTW, I figured this out.  The UDP connection attempt is a result of
having the "trace" option in bb-hosts enabled.  The traceroute will
attempt a UDP connection to port 33435 on the failed server, then follow
up with UDP conns to ports 33436 & 33437.  The port I listed in my
message above was from the Hobbit server, which has varied each time and
thus didn't match anything obvious.

I'm just throwing this out there in case someone else runs a tcpdump on
their hobbit server, with the "trace" option in effect, and can't figure
out why some weird UDP traffic shows up after a system fails the conn
test!  ;)

Tom