[hobbit] Hobbit vs Nagios

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed Jun 21 16:33:04 CEST 2006

On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 09:47:47PM -0400, Matthew Davis wrote:
> I tried out nagios and one huge winning factor for Hobbit was
> simplicity.  I put quite a bit of time into getting nagios off the
> ground with little luck.  And in the same amount of time, I was able
> to get nearly all functionality I required out of a monitoring
> program.

I had a funny experience last week. There was a Linux Users group
meeting here in Copenhagen, where the subject was "Setting up Nagios".
Since I'm always interested to see what the competitors look like, I
attended. The guy who told about Nagios knew that I am behind Hobbit,
as did a couple of the people in the audience. So when the talk about
Nagios was over and there was some spare time left, they asked me if
I could give a quick overview of Hobbit. Which I did, thanks to a
wireless Internet connection they managed to setup quickly.

After about an hour, someone in the audience asked the Nagios guy
"after hearing about Nagios and Hobbit tonight, why didn't you just
install Hobbit?"

I think that tells a lot about how easy it is to setup Hobbit
compared to Nagios.