[hobbit] Monitoring FreeBSD jails ?

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Tue Jun 13 22:15:38 CEST 2006

On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 07:10:09PM +0200, Nicolas wrote:
> I installed the client on a freebsd 6.1 box and it works fine.
>
> Currently, there are 7 jails on the box and i m going to install the
> hobbit client on each one.
>
> but i d like to know if there ll be some external scripts in order to
> monitore Freebsd jails without installing a client hobbit into each jails.
> (there are some tools like "jexec" to execute command into jail without
> logging on it).

I haven't played with FreeBSD jails at all, all I know is the basic
concept of isolating certain tasks into their own pseudo system.
So I don't know enough about them to say whether this will be simple or
difficult to implement.

The Hobbit client script is pretty simple, though - so if there is a
mechanism in place where a script at the physical-box-level can run
commands inside each of the jails, then it should be pretty simple to
tweak the client to run on all of the jail-systems without having to
install it there - you'd basically be doing "uptime", "df", "ps" etc.
once for each jail instance, wrapping it up into a client message and
send that across to the Hobbit server. Each of your jails would then
show up as a separate "host" on the Hobbit server display.

Just one way of doing it, I am open to suggestions since this is not
something I know a whole lot about.