Status of the beta test

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Mon Jun 12 23:54:31 CEST 2006

This is just to let everyone know what the current status is with the
beta test, and what my plans are.

The betatest status page is at http://www.hswn.dk/hobbitsw/betapatches/

The beta test has been quite succesful. There are currently 15
individual patches for the beta release fixing bugs - some of the
patches adress more than one problem. Since the purpose of a beta
test is to find bugs, this is good news.

There are a few unresolved bugs left that I'm investigating. The
most serious is a problem with hobbitping, where it appears to
get some hosts right half of the time. If this cannot be resolved,
I may choose to drop hobbitping as the default ping test tool, and

The other problems are some crashes that only happen for some users.
They need to get fixed, obviously, but apparently require the right
circumstances to trigger.

So my plan currently is to send out a release candidate by the end of
this week; by then I'll have to make up my mind about hobbitping. So
do let me know if you see any weird behaviour with hobbitping, with the
current patch applied.

The release candidate testing will then take place next week, and the
final release is tentatively scheduled for June 25th.

So I think I'll make it for the Summer holidays.