Remote TCP checks consolidation

Charles Jones -X (charljon - Cisco Learning Institute at Cisco) charljon at cisco.com
Fri Jun 9 00:46:01 CEST 2006

I need to monitor approximately a dozen TCP ports on a bunch of remote hosts. What is the easiest way to group these under one column heading?

I thought about using the PORTS checking ability of the remote clients, but sadly past history in the case has shown that just because netstat shows that the port is listening on the remote server, doesn't mean that you can connect to it (broken firewall rules, or the app not responding, etc).

In some of the cases, the application is a Tomcat server, which listens on half a dozen ports. Im thinking the easiest way to handle that is to add "tomcat" in bb-services, and then in bb-hosts I could specify the ports via "tomcat:8001 tomcat:8002 tomcat:8020 tomcat:8009" and so on.

The problem is there are not only tomcats, but other apps and services as well (squid proxies, oracle OCM's, and random java servlets) that wouldn't fit under just a "tomcat" column, and I don't really want to add so many columns for these custom apps.

Is there any way to force these remote tcp checks to appear under the "ports" column?

Thanks,
-Charles