[feature request] --follow http redirect support come back

Charles Goyard cgoyard at cvf.fr
Wed Jun 7 17:15:25 CEST 2006

Hi all,

this is my first post here, so I'll introduce myself briefly : I'm a
sysadmin for 4 or 5 years, I live in Paris, France. I built up a Big
Brother + bbgen 2.x server at our company, taking care of more than 400
hosts. bbgen as proven so useful that we not want to drop Big Brother in
favour of Hobbit (even thought I dislike Tolkien writings and like
Orwell ones).

However, there's a catch. Since bbgen 3.x, the libcurl has been dropped
for bbtest-net, and the ability to follow Redirects for http
disappeared. Of course, I need it for some major websites. I have
several options :

(1)/ ask Henrik to implement a straightforward 302 support ;

(2) implement it myself into bbtest-net ;

(3) write an external module based on bbtest-net 2.x to perform the http
tests. This makes a "--no-http" switch into hobbit useful, so I can keep
my URLs into the regular bb-hosts file.

I just had a look at the source code, and (2) is out of my skills. (3)
is a reasonable option. But keeping the hobbit as standard and clean as
possible is important as well, so... (1) Henrik, have you got any plans of
making the http redirect back to work ? (please please please :)).

Charles Goyard - cgoyard at cvf.fr - (+33) 1 45 38 01 31