Please help me understand this

James B Horwath JamesHorwath at glic.com
Tue Jun 6 17:37:02 CEST 2006

I want to make sure I understand  how the badTEST directive in the bb-host
file works.

If I have something like this:

10.10.10.10   foobar         # !telnet ssh noconn badssh:1:1:2

I read the documentation to work like this:

Interval 1--------------Interval 2 -------------Interval 3
00:00                          00:05                          00:10
0 minutes                  5 minutes                 5 minutes
Success                    Failure                      Failure
Green                         Yellow                      Red

At 00:00 an ssh test is done and is successful.  The next polling interval
is at 00:05 and the 10 second time-out is hit and the ssh test fails.  Due
to the badssh directive the test will turn yellow in Hobbit.  The next
polling cycle is at 00:10 and the 10 second time-out is reached for the
ssh test and this time a RED alert is generated because it is the second
failure (referred to as the z variable in the documentation).

Is this understanding correct?   Are network tests only done once?

Thanks in advance,
Jim

This message, and any attachments to it, may contain information
that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under
applicable law.  If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination,
distribution, copying, or communication of this message is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please
notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete the
message and any attachments.  Thank you.