[hobbit] bbfix functionality in hobbit

Aiello, Steve (GE, Corporate, consultant) steve.aiello at ge.com
Fri Jul 21 18:11:19 CEST 2006

I agree completely with Henrik. Adding 'intelligence' into a script is
rather difficult. But I do have a rather 'painful' IIS ASP application.
And frequently IIS will die, hang, stop processing ASP. So I wrote a
script that runs on each IIS server, that queries the HTTP status from
the monitoring server and if the status is red all dllhost & inetinfo
processes are killed & the IIS is started. My fear was that this restart
script could be stuck in a loop, i.e. possibility that IIS can not be
started. So I added the intelligence into my script that logs the date &
time of each time the script restarts IIS. It will only restart, if it
has not done it more than 3 times in the last hour. Lately I have been
thinking of adding in more logic to check if a restart occured in the
last 5 minutes (poling period). Becuase I have seen the restart script
do it's job and fix IIS, but the monitoring server has not checked yet.
Thus the restart script bounces IIS again...