[hobbit] bbproxy with multiple targets in beta package patches

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Fri Jul 14 17:46:11 CEST 2006

On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 05:29:46PM +0200, Buchan Milne wrote:

> However, now the "old" server is not getting data from clients, but the "new"
> one is, eg cpu, disk, files, memory, msgs, ports, procs are purple on
> the "old" server but green on the "new" sever (and collecting in the RRDs).

When proxy'ing the "client" messages, bbproxy only sends them to the
first server listed in the --bbdisplay option.

The reason for this is that the client message gets back a response
(the client configuration data). Since it only makes sense to send one
of these responses back to the client, bbproxy only forwards the message
to one server.

I'm not saying that is the right thing to do, because I really didn't
think about it much. The "client" message support was added to bbproxy
just like the other types of messages that get a response back ("query"
and "config", for instance), but "client" is different because it
actually sends data TO the Hobbit server, whereas the others just
fetch some data FROM the Hobbit server.

So - I'll log this as a bug, and since there is also another problem
with bbproxy already listed I'll see if it can be fixed.